Go to Home Page
You are here
Go to Reference Section
Go to Directories Section
Go to Community Section
Go to Fun Section
Go to Science Store
Go to About PhysLink.com
Club PhysLink
   Not a member yet?
   Get Free Membership
    Remember me
   Forgot your login?
Top Destinations Menu
 Ask the ExpertsAsk the

 Physics and Astronomy Departments DirectoryUniversity

 Discussion ForumsDiscussion

 Online Chat Online

 FREE Einstein eCardsEinstein

 PhysLink.com Science eStoreScience


Chikrii Word2TeX Software

Click here for a free 2-week trial

Become a Sponsor


What is correct: To mention temperature in deg K (°K) or in just K?

Asked by: Prof. C. F. Desai


The correct one is just K, not degrees K.

The confusion arises due to the other common temperatures scale, the Celsius scale (based on the old Centigrade scale). This scale was derived from getting a mercury-in-glass thermometer and marking the ice-point and steam-point on it. The distance between these points is then divided into 100 divisions or degrees. The units used here are thus called degrees Celsius.

However, Kelvin, the SI unit of temperature, is based on the triple point of water (The temperature where water can exist in all 3 states). 1 K = 1/273.16 of the triple point of water. Kelvin, as an SI unit is similar to the metre and the second, and we don't say degrees metre, or degrees second do we?

Note from the editor: Degree K or °K was actually used in the past but it became obsolete by international agreement in 1967.

Answered by: Simon Hooks, Physics A-Level Student, Gosport, UK

go to the top  

All rights reserved. © Copyright '1995-'2004 PhysLink.com